They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold… and I deem them mad because they think my days have a price.
The quote sums up our outlook: life is finite and we make decisions every day about how we’ll use our remaining time and financial resources.
Us: Two Geeks retired in 2001 at 45 and undertook their lifelong passions. Scott spent a year and a half, full time spread over several years, in Culinary Arts programs. We both took off to see more the world – visiting some 120+ countries since on our own, sometimes traveling for free as Lecturers on cruise ships. A lot of things have happened since then — most of the good, some of them not so much. That’s what this site is about.
- Who could forget covid-19? That frightening, “everything’s changed” age of confusion? As I write (April 2020) I (Scott) am up in Vancouver, my wife still in Tucson. Don’t know when we’ll be together next. [update: Scott got back to Tucson in mid-October, and as of February, the Trudeau government in Canada is making it difficult to return there in the short term.
- He’s trying again! Our website was launched literally last century (circa 1998) and updated (perhaps for the worse) at least once. I’m working on yet another version. It’s daunting to decide what out of two peoples’ lives, what’s salient over 20 years. What do we want to convey? For whom? Why?
Last year’s highlights, 2019:
- Scott’s returning for a 2nd year with his new employer and its ambitious electric boat tours program.
- A two-week land tour of Iceland followed by another two weeks on a luxury from Kangerlussuaq, Greenland to Quebec City.
- Vancouver Cruise V2: Fifteen years after the Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver BC cruise that resulted in our establishing roots (and for Scott, citizenship) in Canada, we repeated the cruise, with the couple we’d met back in 2003, and a bunch of other friends.
- Scott spent all of October 2018 in Thailand and Indonesia, meeting his foster “kid” Hasrianto (he’s 30…) for the first time, on the remote island of Selayar, Indonesia and touring with him in Tana Toraja
- Scott celebrated his 10th year volunteering in the Vancouver Folk Music Festival kitchen. For the 3rd year, Kathy helped too as we prepared several hundred quiche Lorraine.
- May 14, 2017 – We had a brilliant trip to Botswana, South Africa & Namabia) in Spring 2017. Working on the blog and photos.
- June 17, 2016 – The Quest is Over. Scott attended the Citizenship Ceremony and is now a proud citizen of Canada.
- March 2016 – Electrified! We’ve installed solar photovoltaic panels on our US home, and purchased an all-electric vehicle (Nissan LEAF) – powered by the sun. Check out “the future is sunny”.
The Rest! On this site you’ll find:
- Travelogues about some of them amazing places we’ve been in the world (like Zimbabwe, Maldives, Syria, Zanzibar, Pitcairn Island)
- More about our professional careers (for Scott, for Kathy)
- Tips on early retirement
- Personal/family photos
- Where we hang out