They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold;
and I deem them mad because they think my days have a price.
The quote sums up our outlook: life is finite and we make decisions every day about how we’ll use our remaining time and financial resources.
Us: Two Geeks retired in 2001 at 45 and undertook their lifelong passions. Scott spent a year and a half, full time spread over several years, in Culinary Arts programs. We both took off to see more the world – visiting some 70+ countries since on our own, sometimes traveling for free as Lecturers on cruise ships. A lot of things have happened since then — most of the good, some of them not so much. That’s what this site is about.
The year’s highlights, 2018:
- A week boat charter with a amazing group of friends in the British Virgin Islands. The area had been badly bashed by a hurricane, but there was enough infrastructure to keep us provisioned, and the “locals” appreciated having visitors again
- Vancouver Cruise V2: Fifteen years after the Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver BC cruise that resulted in our establishing roots (and for Scott, citizenship) in Canada, we repeated the cruise, with the couple we’d met back in 2003, and a bunch of other friends.
- Scott spent all of October in Thailand and Indonesia, meeting his foster “kid” Hasrianto (he’s 30…) for the first time, on the remote island of Selayar, Indonesia and tourism with him in Tana Toraja
- Kathy flew back to Michigan for a big family reunion
- Scott celebrated his 10th year volunteering in the Vancouver Folk Music Festival kitchen. For the 3rd year, Kathy helped too as we prepared several hundred quiche Lorraine.
A few past highlights:
- May 14, 2017 – We had a brilliant trip to Botswana, South Africa & Namabia) in Spring 2017. Working on the blog and photos.
- June 17, 2016 – The Quest is Over. Scott attended the Citizenship Ceremony and is now a proud citizen of Canada.
- March 2016 – Electrified! We’ve installed solar photovoltaic panels on our US home, and purchased an all-electric vehicle (Nissan LEAF) – powered by the sun. Check out “the future is sunny”.
The Rest! On this site you’ll find:
- Travelogues about some of them amazing places we’ve been in the world (like Zimbabwe, Maldives, Syria, Zanzibar, Pitcairn Island)
- More about our professional careers (for Scott, for Kathy)
- Tips on how to retire young
- Personal/family photos
- Where we hang out
Too busy to visit? You can subscribe to new content (sign up at right). Thanks!